If you want to drink the best coffee, it’s all about measuring the correct amounts, so you’ll need the best coffee scale to make sure you get it right. And if you’re looking for a new one, here are our top picks to help you make your decision.
The Best Coffee Scale on the Market 2021
1. ERAVSOW Digital Coffee Scale
If you want a decent-quality scale that will allow you to weigh your coffee down to 0.1g precision but that won’t cost you a fortune, this one could be worth checking out.
We like the large, bright orange backlit LCD that’s easy to read, giving you a readout for weight, time (for the timer) and remaining battery. We also appreciate the essential functions like tare as well as the timer itself, important features for those serious about brewing coffee.
Another positive is that you can switch between units – most coffee enthusiasts work in grams, but if you prefer imperial units, it’s possible to use those too – making it a versatile unit.
On the downside, although it claims to measure down to 0.1g, in reality, the accuracy is more like 0.5g – although, for most people, this is more than enough. Also, it’s a little awkward to reset since switching it off is not enough to do the job.
All in all, this is an excellent unit that represents great value for money and is ideal for anyone who needs to weigh their coffee quickly and accurately – although if you need extreme precision, there may be better options. A recommended pick.
- Easy-to-read backlit LCD – makes it easy to see the value shown
- Measures in ounces or grams – and easy to switch between the two
- Great value – good quality unit for the price
- Tare function – allows you to set the value to zero with a container on the scale
- Compact unit – perfect for weighing coffee and other small items
- Not accurate to 0.1g as advertised – but still very precise
- Awkward to reset – turning off doesn’t do it
2. Hario V60 Digital Drip Coffee Scale and Timer (Our Top Pick)
The Hario V60 is a coffee scale designed for those who are particular about how they brew their coffee. One of the major selling points is its ability to weigh coffee to an extremely high level of precision, offering accurate increments as small as 0.1g
Coupled with this is a built-in timer, which is ideal for gauging perfect bloom, and it’s a welcome addition since it means you don’t need to use a separate timer to judge how long to leave your coffee brewing.
There are a couple of minor negatives to mention too. There is a slight delay on the display when you add or remove weight, so you need to pour slowly to make sure you don’t add too much water.
Also, the scale seems a little flimsy for the price, so you need to make sure it isn’t subjected to too much rough treatment.
These minor niggles aside, this is an excellent option if you are looking for a combination of accuracy and reasonable price. It isn’t a budget option, but if you want something in the middle of the price range, this is a coffee scale that should be on your list of possibilities.
- Incorporated timer – allows you to control perfect bloom times
- High degree of accuracy – allows you to measure down to 0.1g
- Auto-off feature – to help conserve the batteries
- Compact design – won’t take up too much space in your kitchen
- Looks great – one of the most stylish designs available
- Delay when weighing – need to add coffee or water slowly
- Slightly flimsy unit – won’t stand up to rough treatment
3. KitchenTour Digital Coffee Scale with Timer
This coffee scale from KitchenTour is aimed at people who care about good coffee but who don’t want to spend lots of money on the most expensive equipment.
There’s a lot to like about this unit. We appreciate the large and clear display that lets you read the numbers with ease. It also has an inbuilt timer so you don’t need to worry about messing around with other pieces of coffee kit when you brew.
Something else we like is the non-slip silicone mat that prevents anything from falling off while you’re using it. Also, this scale has a wide range, allowing you to measure from 0.3g right up to 3000g.
Something we like less is the touch-sensitive buttons – they aren’t quite responsive enough, and sometimes, it’s difficult to know if you’ve pressed it or not. Also, it feels a little cheap, but for this price, this is something we’d be willing to accept.
In sum, a great option for anyone who wants great value for money and who doesn’t need a top-end model. If that sounds like you, this is a scale you would do well to consider.
- Large display – makes it easy to read
- Non-slip silicone mat – ensures your equipment won’t fall off
- Incorporated timer – no need for a separate one
- Wide range – from 0.3g to 3000g
- Good quality for the price – great bang for your buck
- Touch-sensitive buttons – sometimes not sensitive enough
- Feels a little cheap – although acceptable for the price
4. Coffee Gator Digital Scale with Timer
The Coffee Gator coffee scale is a well-designed piece of equipment that is made for coffee enthusiasts who don’t believe they should have to spend a fortune on coffee paraphernalia to be able to enjoy their favorite drink.
Features we like include the rubber mat and feet that are there to help avoid accidents and the fact that it can be used to measure both liquid and solid quantities – it offers the possibility to see the readout in ounces, grams, fluid ounces or liters.
Another plus is the large, clear LCD that makes it easy to read, and it’s very simple to use, so anybody will be able to operate it without too many difficulties.
Perhaps the biggest downside is its lack of sensitivity. When you add or remove anything, it takes a few moments to register. This is not an issue with ground coffee or beans, but it is a little more awkward when pouring water. However, it still isn’t a major problem.
Also, it tends to go through batteries fairly quickly, so if you don’t want to be left without a coffee scale, you’ll probably want to keep a few AAA batteries on hand just in case.
This scale is a solid, thoughtfully-designed option at the lower end of the price range but that performs well and can match the accuracy of some more expensive models, so if those are the kind of qualities you are looking for, this scale could be a wise pick.
- Measures both liquid and solid weight – in ounces, grams, fluid ounces and liters
- Rubber mat and feet- designed to be slip-free
- Large clear LCD – easy to read
- Simple to use – anyone can understand it
- Low price – but quality comparable with more expensive models
- Lacks sensitivity – slow to change
- Goes through batteries quickly – will need to replace them fairly often
5. Small Coffee Digital Scale with Timer (Budget Pick)
If you need a small, compact and portable coffee scale that you can slip in your pocket and carry with you, this could be the one to go for. It is ideal for weighing smaller quantities of coffee and offers a high level of accuracy, right down to the nearest 0.1g.
Its size is especially convenient if you want to use it for pulling espresso shots since it will fit comfortably under any machine. However, it also includes a built-in timer, so you can use it to brew accurately measured pour-over coffee too.
That said, its major limitation is that it has a maximum weight of only 300g, so if you want to brew larger quantities of pour-over coffee on it, there are better options to consider.
Another minor flaw is that the display is not waterproof or even water-resistant, so you need to take care not to get it wet.
This is among the least expensive options available, although that doesn’t mean it provides inferior performance. For espresso fans or those who only brew single cups of pour-over, this could be a smart option – but if you brew larger quantities of coffee, it is less recommended.
- Small and compact – portable and suitable for pulling espresso shots
- Display in 2 units – offers either grams or ounces
- Good accuracy – you can trust the reading it gives you
- Includes timer – useful for brewing on the scale
- Extremely inexpensive – exceptional value for money
- Maximum weight of only 300g – not ideal for brewing larger quantities
- Display not water-resistant – need to be careful not to get it wet
6. GreaterGoods Digital Food Kitchen Scale
Although dedicated coffee scales are ideal for coffee connoisseurs, good options also exist if you would prefer something for more general use. In that case, this model from GreaterGoods could be worth thinking about.
It is an inexpensive scale, but due to its solid quality, it represents great value for money. We also like how it is easy to clean, and you can choose from several different colors, allowing you to pick one that best matches the décor of your kitchen.
As we mentioned, it’s a versatile option since it’s made for weighing all kinds of food rather than just coffee.
It’s also made by a conscientious company that is committed to donating a percentage of their revenue to charity.
However, if you need something that will give you the level of precision required for brewing the best specialty coffee, this scale might not be the best pick since it doesn’t provide the necessary level of accuracy.
Also, there is no built-in timer, so if you want to brew pour-over coffee on the scale, you will have to use a separate one.
To summarize, a great pick if you want a versatile unit for a range of uses that is also suitable for coffee – but if you want something the will allow you to measure minute quantities of coffee for specialist coffee, this is probably not the one for you.
- Inexpensive option – and great value for money
- Easy to clean – no problem about cleaning up after you’ve used it
- Versatile model – can be used for more than just coffee
- Conscientious company – money from your purchase goes to charity
- Available in several colors – choose one that matches your kitchen
- Not designed specifically for coffee – may lack the level of accuracy required
- No timer – will need to use a separate timer for brewing
7. Nicewell Food Digital Scale
Like the model we just looked at above, this scale has not been specifically designed for weighing coffee, but for casual coffee drinkers who need to measure their beans or grounds, this all-round scale will still do a decent job.
Most people will love the stylish look since it’s among the most attractive scales you’ll see. It also offers a good level of accuracy that is more than sufficient for weighing portions of food or measuring out coffee for brewing.
We like the way it’s made of tough tempered glass, which makes it less likely to break, and it also provides the option of weighing in grams, ounces and fluid ounces, something that gives it even more flexibility.
A couple of minor issues include an auto-shutoff that is a little on the fast side – you need to be quick with what you’re doing, or it will turn itself off. Also, the on/off switch is quite sensitive, so it might get switched on by accident if you’re not careful.
In short, a good option if you need a versatile machine that will work for coffee as well as a range of other foods – but less than ideal if you’re a connoisseur who needs the highest levels of accuracy.
- Stylish design – will look great in any kitchen
- Good accuracy – will allow you to measure with a reasonable degree of precision
- Made of tempered glass- won’t break easily
- Can measure in several units – fluid ounces, ounces and grams all possible
- Easy tare function – extremely simple to use
- Auto-shutoff a little quick – goes off if you leave it for a few seconds
- Can switch on very easily – on/off switch very sensitive
Lots of great options to choose from
As you can see, there are many great options to choose from and at a range of price points. If you’ve decided you need a new coffee scale but are having trouble choosing, any of the picks from our review would be a great place to start your search.