Brick barbecue is such an important asset to have at home. Whether you are for the outdoor brick bbq grill or the indoor one, you still to clean it to reap all the benefits.
Cleaning a grill is an art and requires the right tool to achieve. The commonly used tools are the grill brushes and grill brick. Of the two, I prefer the latter. In this article, I am going to explain how you can restore a greased brick bbq grill using grill brick.
- What Is a Grill Brick?
- What Is Grill Brick Made Of?
- What’s the famous manufacturing company? What are some popular types of grill brick?
- Is grill brick toxic?
- Advantages of using grill brick for cleaning
- How to Use a Grill Brick to clean grill, step-by-step guideline
- How to clean the grill brick to clean griddle, step-by-step guideline
- Where to Buy Grill Bricks
- Other grill cleaning tools
What Is a Grill Brick?
Grill bricks come as a block of pumice stone that is very efficient in removing grease and carbon deposits on many different types of BBQ grills and griddles. This stone has an abrasive property that gives it a cleaning power to remove any coating while leaving your grill unscratched.
Commercial chefs have been the people using the brick grill for many years, but that does not mean you should not bring it home. As opposed to grill brushes, grill bricks are more efficient in cleaning the grill. It is also widely used for cleaning home-based grills.
What Is Grill Brick Made Of?
From the definition of grill brick, it is made of a natural pumice stone. This stone has unique properties such as not getting clogged, mild abrasion, and many others. That is why it the best choice for getting grease and carbon deposit off your grill.
However, you can find other grill bricks made of fine-grained sand. These types are more abrasive, and therefore, rough on grills. If you don’t care so much about the coating on your grills, then this type can be the best option for you.
What’s the famous manufacturing company? What are some popular types of grill brick?
Grill bricks come from many different manufacturers. Different grill bricks have many similarities in their cleaning property since they are made from the same material. Most of the grill bricks that you will see or buy are products of non-porous pumice stone.
Some of the reputable manufacturers are the KegWorks, Funew, Salvmary, and many others. All of their products are available on Amazon. If you are looking for the most popular grill bricks, then these are the brands to look check out.
You can also find grill bricks from other manufacturers. All their products will work well but do not forget to check on the size, price, and weight before you buy.
Is grill brick toxic?
Grill bricks are toxic-free tools that you can freely use for cleaning your grills without worries of poisoning or any health hazards. Grill bricks are also environmentally-friendly cleaning tools that will contribute nothing to pollution.
During use, grill brick does not give out dust. Instead, it wears down into a paste that further improve its cleaning ability. You are safe in every way when using grill brick for cleaning your BBQ grill.
Advantages of using grill brick for cleaning
Grill brick is rapidly replacing grill brushes for cleaning grills and griddles. That is so because of the following advantages that come with the use of grill bricks:
- Grill bricks do not absorb grease or carbon due to its non-porosity property. It will not have any odors even if used for a long time.
- Automatically wears into a new layer each use.
- Natural, non-toxic, and environmentally-friendly
- Gently on the grill, does not scratch the coatings due to mild abrasive property.
- Ideal for cleaning hot grills
- No maintenance and care needed when using and storing grill brick.
- Are reusable and safely disposable
How to Use a Grill Brick to clean grill, step-by-step guideline
After using your grill or griddle over time, or you just cooked oily foods, it will behave grease, carbon deposits, or any other stains on it. These need cleaning, and grill brick offers you the best way to do so.
Grill brick is perfect on its own or when supplemented by other abrasives. This tool comes with a removable aluminum handle for easy handling during operation. Despite the high cleaning property, you need to use it the right way to get the best out of it.
Preparation for grill cleaning using grill brick involves getting the brick itself, cooking oil, grill scraper, and two pieces of cloths. Once ready, proceed as follows:
- Make sure your brick bbq grill is warm, neither hot or cold. Sprinkle water on the grill to test.
- Use a grill scraper to remove large food particles and other deposits from the grill.
- Smear cooking oil on the grill to form a coat
- Use grill brick to scrub the grill. Move the grill brick from side to side along the grill metals with a little force on the grill to remove all the stains.
- When you are sure that everything the stains are no more, rinse the grill with clean water. You can watch the entire process on this YouTube video.
Please take care not to burn yourself when cleaning with grill brick without handles. You can use a towel to hold grill brick as the heat from the grill can get to your hands. Also, remember to be gentle when scrubbing your grill as too much force can introduce scratches on it.
How to clean the grill brick to clean griddle, step-by-step guideline
To successfully clean your grill with a grill brick, you need the brick, cooking oil, vinegar, and two pieces of clothes. Follow these steps when you have everything needed.
- Heat the griddle until hot.
- Pour oil on its surface.
- Use the brick to scrub the surface circularly until the stains and food particles are no more.
- Remove oil from the surface and let the griddle cool down.
- Pour vinegar on the griddle and let it spread to cover the entire surface.
- Use one piece of cloth until satisfactorily clean.
- Remove everything from the surface and use the other piece of clothing to rub oil on the surface to polish it.
Where to Buy Grill Bricks
Visit any grill accessory store and ask for a brick grill. You can then choose the right size for your needs. For example, small grill bricks are suitable for home grills, and anyone can handle them. On the other hand, choose large grill bricks for large grills and griddles and when you want to complete the cleaning task faster.
Other grill cleaning tools
Despite the advantages that come with grill bricks for cleaning grills, some people may still opt for other options for reasons best known for themselves. Sometimes it is because you do not have access to grill bricks. Should that be the case, then you can check out these grill cleaning tools:
- Kona 360o Grill Brush – If you value the cleanliness of your grill and you want the job done faster, then this grill cleaning brush is a perfect choice for you. With bristles facing all directions, you can quickly remove all the grease and particles from your grill.
- It is also lightweight, easy to use, and comes with a 5-year warranty. However, it needs proper care for storage as it can rust.
- BBQ-Aid Grill Brush – If you are suspecting that your grill has hard-to-remove stains, then you can achieve cleaning using this brash. It is made of 3-inch by 3-inch bristle panel and a steel scraper, nothing much complicated. Its bristles are tough to dislodge any tough stains from a grill.
- Room Essentials Tough Brush – This is the best grill brush on budget. If you cannot afford a grill brick or any other grill brushes mentioned here, then you can go for this one. It will still make you enjoy barbequing on a clean grill. You only need to use it carefully as the bristles can bend or detach.
You can explore other grill cleaning tools that suit your needs. The list is long, and I cannot have everything accommodated in this short article.
Many people like enjoying straight-from-the-grill food. That means the grills that we have on our properties need cleaning and maintenance as they are in regular use. The best way to care for your grill is by cleaning the stains regularly.
Using grill bricks can make you restore the shiny appearance of your grill even after many years of usage. Brick grills are pumice stones, or sometimes sand, that can safely remove grease, carbon deposits, and other stains from the grill.
Grill bricks are preferred and are slowly overtaking grill brushes. That is because they are reliable, easy to use, eco-friendly, non-toxic, and reusable. They also do not scratch the coating on the grill because of their mild abrasive property.
For a successful brick bbq grill cleaning, you need to follow the steps outlined in this article. Proper use of grill bricks guarantees a clean grill for your barbecuing session. It is a good practice to set your grill for use immediately after use.