Are you a lover of the sweet sensation and taste of Malibu rum? Do you like drinking solid alcoholic beverages? If yes, join a thousand others to read about all you need to know about this favorite drink. Here, we will tell you whether it goes bad and how to store the drink perfectly to boost its shelf life.
Does Malibu Rum Go Bad?
If your biggest concern is whether Malibu rum products expires or not, worry no more. In this article, we will offer all the super tips and tricks you can use to extend your Malibu rum’s shelf life.
First, we seek to answer the common question of whether Malibu rum goes bad. The straightforward answer to this question is no; Malibu rum does not expire. Its shelf life is indefinite, provided you store it in the right conditions and keep it sealed always.
How Long Does Malibu Rum Last?
As we had earlier stated, Malibu rum lasts indefinitely. You can have it staying fresh for as much as you need, provided that you exercise responsibility in its storage. Malibu rum comes labeled with a best before date on the package. However, most people confuse this date for expiry dates and freak out from consuming the liquor when it has passed the marked dates.
We are glad to mention that the best before date is when the manufacturer expects the beverage to be at its peak quality and offer the best smell and taste. Never have we ever seen Malibu rum magically expire or lose its full flavor. The drink is still safe for consumption many years later.
Once you open the bottle, the manufacturer suggests that you use it within a year for the best quality. It is quite essential to note that Malibu loses its value faster than pure rum. However, that does not mean that it won’t last long. The chart below shows the expected shelf life of Malibu rum under different conditions;
|Best by date+ 10 years||indefinite|
|Open Malibu||1 year||
Best by date+ 2 years
3 Tips to Tell If Malibu Rum Has Gone Bad
Do you doubt that your Malibu rum might have gone bad but not very sure of it? Then don’t worry; we will highlight what you should look for to identify whether your drink has expired.
But before that, it is good to remember that if Malibu rum is appropriately stored, it will never go bad, thanks to the high alcohol content that offers it natural preservation. You should look out for the signs below in your bottle to judge whether it has expired;
- When Malibu rum stays unsealed for a long time, it will lose its flavor. The flavor loss is occasioned by evaporation and maximum exposure to air. The flavor may degrade too much such that the drinks feel very unpleasant even to swallow. In such a case, it is your responsibility to decide on whether to discard it or mix it with other flavored drinks to cover the subpar flavor.
- The smell of Malibu rum may also alter when it has been in store for a long time. Either the smell goes flat, or it starts producing a sour smell. No one would like to drink rum that smells like it is fermented. However, despite the sour smell, the drink is still very safe for consumption, and it won’t have any adverse effects on your body.
- Malibu rum might also change its appearance when subjected to long storage periods. The entire drink tends to turn cloudy, and some visible particles deposit on the bottle base.
4 Tips to store Malibu Rum
Have you ever known that storing Malibu rum is as simple as storing any other alcoholic drink? If any method works for typical vodkas and spirits, it will perfect with Malibu rum. The most common way is storing the drink in a cool and dry place away from sunlight and heat sources. One such perfect storage place is the kitchen pantry or dark cupboard.
You should never forget that excellent storage techniques will boost the shelf life of your liquor. Additionally, the liquor’s quality over time is determined by how best you store the Malibu rum bottle. So, why not be extra keen when dealing with the storage of your Malibu rum package? We will offer some tips here that will make the storage of Malibu rum an easy and convenient task;
- Once you open your Malibu rum bottle, you should be keen on keeping it sealed and tightly closed when you are not using it. The sealing prevents air from coming into contact with air.
For starters, this could cause cross-contamination of the bottle’s content if the air is polluted. Also, the air in the bottle motivates the degradation process of the liquor’s taste and flavor. When the bottle is well sealed, the process will, without a doubt, slow down.
- On that same note, never store a bottle that is half-filled with Malibu rum. Half-filled bottles will have high pressure and suck in air that is likely to contribute to the liquor’s spoilage. Instead, always be keen to transfer the liquor into a smaller bottle so that it is well filled. The smaller space, the slower the quality degradation of the liquor happens.
- Never keep the Malibu rum bottle near a heat source or a place where the temperatures rise beyond the normal. Interestingly not only Malibu rum is affected by excess heat but also all other types of alcoholic drinks. If you store your Malibu rum bottle in a warm place, the liquor’s quality is likely to drop faster than you keep it in a cool area.
- You can keep your Malibu rum bottle in the fridge if you intend to have it around for quite a long time. However, it is not very necessary as even when you keep the bottle in a cool and dry place, it will still work fine. Refrigeration works perfectly when you have used bottles, and you doubt the seals. The liquor kept in the fridge stays fresh for a longer time.
Are you a fan of chilled drinks? Or do you love enjoying cold sips in the garden during hot sunny days? Then the fridge is the perfect choice for you. Keeping the drink in the fridge for some days will get it well chilled. However, if you do not want the liquor chilled, there is no need to keep it in the fridge. The Malibu rum itself is self-preserving, thanks to the high alcoholic content in it.
The Risk of Consuming Expired Malibu Rum
Have you ever asked yourself whether it is safe for you to drink Malibu rum that has gone past its best before date? Or even worse, have you ever been on the crossroad on whether to drink or not? Worry no more; we will tell you all you need to know about expired beverages.
But first, we will start addressing the common concerns amongst most Malibu rum consumers. No, there is no health risk associated with consuming expired Malibu rum. It is essential to note that the best before dates labeled on the package do not denote that the drink has expired. Rather, it is the period within which the beverage will be at its peak quality and will offer the best service.
In most cases, you will note that as Malibu rum continues to age, it will change its appearance to a strange cloudy look. The change might scare you into thinking that the drink has expired and is not safe for consumption. However, that is not the case. Also, Malibu rum degrades its flavor after prolonged storage. It might not have the same taste as before. The best remedy for flavor changes is mixing the drink with other cocktails that have more concentrated flavors.
Can You Freeze Malibu Rum?
Have you ever found yourself confused on whether to freeze Malibu rum or not? Maybe you took the leap of faith, and the bottle broke after some days of freezing? That would be pretty heartbreaking. However, you should worry no more because we are here with all that you need to know.
So, first things first, can you freeze Malibu rum? The straightforward answer here is yes, you can, but it is complicated and unnecessary. The hustle you will go through to freeze Malibu rum is not worth the struggle since the beverage can stays fresh on its own for ages.
To begin with, Malibu rum will not get frozen by your typical average home freezer. When you try to freeze it, it will probably just turn icy. Depending on the rum quality, it may end up turning to a rum syrup instead of getting frozen. When most whiskeys are put in the freezer, the same happens to them.
The temperature of a typical home freezer is not cold enough to freeze hard liquor. However, a beer may freeze because most of its content is water. When the temperatures in the freezer get too cold, some rum bottles may but completely break.
Malibu rum is a perfect drink. We all love it for its refreshing taste, especially when chilled and cold. Interestingly, this beverage lasts for quite a long time while kept under optimal conditions. The best way to keep this drink for long is by storing it in a cool and dry pantry.